We've all seen them before – viral photos of dogs with swollen faces caused by bee stings. It's no laughing matter, especially If your dog is allergic to bee stings. 

(image credit: reddit.com)

(image credit: reddit.com)

(image credit: flickr.com)

Bee stings could lead to a life-threatening condition if your dog happens to be allergic to them. As most of don’t know if our furkid is allergic to it or not, it is important to act quickly once you notice swelling.

An allergy could trigger an anaphylactic shock, which may result in respiratory distress. Severe cases will lead to the dog's collapse, but all signs of distress warrant emergency treatment by a medical professional.

Even if your dog doesn't show an overtly adverse reaction to the insect bite or bee sting, it is best to contact your veterinarian for advice on how to proceed. Most of the time, it is no big deal – it will merely be uncomfortable and itchy as it heals. However, these wounds may get infected if not taken care of properly.

Do try to remove the stinger even if you can see it. Place ice on the sting to prevent or reduce swelling. However, if your pooch is very sensitive about your handling and examining the area, don't push it and bring him to your vet instead so he can treat the wound effectively.

Of course, you shouldn’t let the potential negative effects of a single bee sting deter you from bringing your dog outdoors to play. He should be able to do what he loves, and as long as proper care and attention are given, your pooch should do just fine.

* The information on this website is not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified pet health care professional and is not intended as medical advice. Always make a pet health care decision in partnership with a qualified veterinary or pet health care professional.

*This article was updated on 28 Dec 2020. It first appeared in PetsMagazine.com.sg on  19 May 2016