If you think that giving your pet human medication might work, think again. A lot of medication meant for humans are very toxic to animals. According to the ASPCA, ibuprofen, a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug, was one of the most common causes of pet poisoning in small animals - even the littlest doses can be dangerous. Antidepressants, muscle relaxants, decongestants, vitamin D derivative, oral diabets treatments, and other common human drugs can all pose risks to pets, from seizures to coma to death.

It is imperative that you keep all forms of human medications secure and away from the reach of your pets. Never discard medication where pets or children can have access to it. If you're worried that your pet may have consumed some of your medications, do not hesitate to take him to the vet immediately. If possible, bring along the label or container of the medication you think your pet may have swallowed.

For a list of human medication that may be toxic to pets, visit http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/top-10-human-medications-that-poison-our-pets.aspx.