Serves 1 large dog or 2 small dogs
Prep time 20 minutes
Cook time 1 hour
150ml water or broth
30g potato or sweet potato
15g apple (optional for added natural sweetness)
60g garbanzo beans (also known as chickpeas)
- Chop pumpkin into large cubes (approximately 5cm each). Place pumpkin pieces in a pot, add 150ml water, cover pot, and bring to a boil.
- While waiting for pumpkin to cook, chop potato, apple, zucchini, and celery into bite-sized pieces (1-2cm cubes for small dogs, or 3-4cm cubes for larger dogs).
- Once pumpkin is soft, mash with a fork (while still in the pot), or use an immersion blender to turn it into a thick broth (add more water if you prefera more fluid texture).
- Add potato, apple, zucchini, and celery pieces, cover pot, and bring to a boil.
- Once it's boiling, lower the heat and allow stew to simmer for 15 minutes (stirring every 5 minutes to allow even cooking and to prevent sticking).
- After 15 minutes, stir the stew once more, then add garbanzo beans and stir through. Cover pot and leave to simmer for another 5 minutes and you're done!
- Serve warm. Stew can be stored in the fridge for up to three days, or frozen for up to two weeks.
*This stew is highly recommended for dogs that require a low-protein diet, but can
also be served as a nutritious side dish to pooches on a regular diet.