Hamsters do not require litter box training as they are generally clean animals and quickly develop a good habit of eliminating at the same spots. However, if you have an errant hamster you can try litter training your hamster with the following steps.
- Buy a litter box from any pet store. Most specially designed litter boxes for hamsters come with a high back so as to prevent the hamster from spraying pee or dropping poop out of the designated area.
- Fill the litter box with litter. Litter can be bought from pet stores. There are litters that are specially made for hamsters.
- Pick up a few hamster droppings and place them inside the litter box. Do the same with some urine-soaked bedding.
- Keep adding fresh droppings and urine-soaked bedding until your hamster catches on. This may take up to a few weeks.
- Keep the litter box clean and filled with fresh litter once your hamster begins to use it properly.