A dog was found brutally murdered at a void deck. Witnesses place a man in his mid 30s to 40s as the perpetrator. He was said to have dragged the dog, a Pomeranian, to the coffeeshop nearby and requested for a knife. The hawker refused to give him one and the man dragged the dog away to the void deck. Seconds later, loud yelling and yelping was heard. Onlookers said the man was throwing the dog on the floor repeatedly until the dog died.

A dead body of a dog, with its face drenched in blood, was found in the void deck of Blk 267B Compassvale Link in Sengkang on Wednesday evening.

The Straits Times reports that the dog, a Pomeranian, died after being beaten and repeatedly flung against the floor.

A police spokesman confirmed the incident, saying that the police received a call around 7.40pm. About six policemen arrived soon after.

Mr Toh, a 50-year-old hawker who works at a coffeeshop next to the void deck, said he witnessed the brutal beating and called the police.

He told The New Paper in Mandarin, “The man was picking up the dog and throwing him onto the floor over and over again – for at least 10 times. It happened over 10 minutes.”

“At first the dog cried out in pain. It was a pitiful sound, then after a while there was silence,” he added.

Mr Toh said he was afraid to step in after the man “looked crazy”.

“I wanted to stop the man, but he really seemed like he was crazy. So I rang the police instead because I hoped they would arrive in time to stop him – and save the dog,” he said.

But it was too little too late as the dog died. The Society of Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) picked up the dead dog after being notified by the police. Initial examinations revealed the dog died from intensive head injuries consistent with trauma.

Another witness, Mr Leow, 34, a hawker who worked in the same coffeeshop as Mr Toh, told the same paper that the dog abuser acted strangely prior to the tragedy.

He claimed that the man who appeared to be in his 30s or 40s, requested for a knife to which Mr Leow said “no”.

The case has been referred to the Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority (AVA) and investigations into the identity of the owner are ongoing.

SPCA executive officer, Ms Deidre Moss said, “It is a tragedy of the highest order, it was a brutal end to a lovely dog.”

She also added that there has been a rise in the number of reports of animals being abused. The SPCA receives between 70 and 80 reports a month, an increase from between 40 and 60 just two years ago.

In early July, a video of a woman hitting a dog with a broom sparked outrage among Singapore netizens. Earlier this year, an odd-job labourer was also sentenced to 10 weeks’ jail for swinging a cat against the wall and killing it.