Canine citizen: Strawberry and cheese tartlets for National Day
Published on Thursday, 11 August 2016
STRAWBERRY AND CHEESE TARTLETS
Serves 10 large dogs or 20 small dogs (makes 20 mini tarts)
Prep time 30 minutes for tart shells; 10 minutes for filling
Cook time 25 minutes for tart shells
1½ cup oat flour; keep ½ cup flour for work surface
1 tbsp organic coconut oil
1 free range egg
3 tbsp water
225g cream cheese
10 tbsp plain Greek yoghurt
300g strawberries; cut into small pieces or keep whole, depending on how you’d like to decorate
• Preheat oven to 130°C.
• Combine 1 cup oat flour, oil, egg, and water in a bowl and knead into a dough.
• Flour work surface, then roll out dough to approximately 3mm in thickness, and cut out circles using a 6.5cm diameter circle.
• Place circles into a muffin tray and form a little bowl shape. Put uncooked rice or beans on top of the circles to prevent the tart shells from rising during baking.
• Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes or till lightly golden.
• Remove from oven and cool completely.
• About 30 minutes before the tart shells are ready, remove cheese from refrigerator and allow it to reach room temperature.
• Whip cheese with a whisk (or electric mixer) till smooth.
• Add yoghurt, and whisk for another minute till well incorporated.
• Place filling into a piping bag and pipe into shells.
• Decorate with strawberries.
* Tarts are best assembled on the day of consumption to keep tart shells crunchy. Prepared tarts can be
refrigerated for up to three days.